Wednesday 17 August 2011

LATITUDE: Saturday!

(Really I should have done this post the day after I did the Friday one, but I'm ridiculously lazy! I will try do the Sunday asap, as next week I go to Leeds Fest and when I come back I'll be wanting to write about that!)

Right so I had worked the graveyard shift in the early hours of Saturday morning (1am - 9am), which wasn't too bad, we met a 50 year old family man that worked for the BBC and was looking for his tent (all of this he told us) who was completely wrecked, got a free bacon butty and brew and I even had a little kip in the kids area on the bouncy castle things... So as soon as I got back to my tent I went straight to bed! And unfortunately didn't get up till 2 in the afternoon, meaning I missed a few artists I would have very much like to have seen! James Vincent McMorrow, They Might Be Giants, Steve Mason and Trophy Wife! I also missed Ed Sheeran, but I've seen him live before so it wasn't too big a deal. I'll have to write about them in their own posts sometime soon!

So out of the artists I did actually see Foals had to be my Saturday favourite. They were headlining The Word Arena and were up against Paolo Nutini, who was headlining the main stage, but I saw the first 15 minutes of his set and not that much was happening, just old people and young kids attempting to dance. Now the atmosphere in Foals I thought was rather excellent, I tend to think of them as a little bit shoegazey, their music to me feels like abit of a murky dream kinda thing, you just drift in and out of it..... They opened with 'Blue Blood' which is one of my favourites, but had to stop half way through the song as somebody at the front had been injured or something? Anyway there were no complaints from me as I got to hear them play it again! Yay! Most of the stuff they played was from their second album 'Total Life Forever', which I have and love and of course they played 'Cassius' to which everybody knew the words! Surprisingly they didn't play 'Spanish Sahara' last, but somewhere in the middle! I suppose they were trying to go against what the crowd were expecting. If you like to think you’re into Indie music and you don't like\ never heard 'Spanish Sahara', you’re not really into Indie music. It came first on BBC 6 Music Top 40 of 2010! Also I love Yannis beard in the video. That’s a nice bitta facial hair right there!

Bellowhead. What an amazing band to dance to! Not club dancing like, just a good old jive! Loved to see they had such a huge crowd and it was made up of all different people, families, older people, younger people, just everybody having a great time! What more can you ask for? It’s a shame they hardly get any radio play, simply because they aren't the same as this mainstream crap that’s spewed out in the 'Top 40'. I think if someone had just had a really bad day and they put the radio on and Bellowhead was on, they would soon feel much better! 'New York Girls' has to be my favourite song by them, 'You'll have to get up early to be smarter than a whore!' great line.

Dog Is Dead was the other band I saw, they are a great new band and I see big things happening for them in the near future! I have actually already done a post on them the other month, so I won't go too much into them, but I will say they are just as good live as they are on cd, well worth a listen and a watch! Seen as I posted 'Glockenspiel Song' on the other post about them, this time I'll post 'Young' and in all honesty I don't think I could choose which is my favourite out of the two!

So that’s about it really for Saturday! Turns out didn't actually see that much! I saw abit of I Am Kloot and also stopped as I was walking past Spector, who I quite liked the sound of and after listening to their stuff on youtube, I will be aiming to see them at Leeds Fest, so look out for a post on them shortly!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
19, student, studying radio production and commercial music production at Chester uni!